Monday, March 3, 2008
Whoever wrote the unwritten rules regarding the timelyness of swim lessons, forgot to include it in the "new mom" handbook!!

When I was a child, you took swim lessons at the start of every summer. That's just the way it was. If you were scared of the water, your father threw you in and your mother complained from the sideline. I remember hating swim lessons at 3 years old in my kelly green swim suit (circa 1979), but I snapped out of it within a year or two and was on my way to swimming heaven.

Oh no...not my child. She is afraid of the water. She always has been - and I pray that it ends soon. It takes all of May, June, July and the first half of August for her to feel good in any kind of water, but sure enough, it's time to go back to school and "swimming" gets put on hold. I thought - easy enough, we'll just pick up where we left off late last summer - she jumped into someone's arms, blew bubbles, left go of my neck...ya know the major things. Nope!

We started swim lessons tonight at the High Street YMCA. Poor teacher, Mr. Drew. He had no idea what was coming for him when I introduced him to the smiling brunette named Lainie. I had pumped her up all week about toes in the water, momma on the wall, ice cream scoop hands...the whole bit. As soon as her butt hit the water, she clawed up his spine and made the tile walls of the Y vibrate with her screams. Not good.

If you are as new at this as I am, apparently, it is a good idea to keep the swim practicing up year round. Year Round? This was not in the mommy manual and it wasn't until our friend Andrea told me that she and her son make special visits to hotels with pools during the year just so he can practice. Allyson and Kelly have had the boys doing their lessons since January, so my sweet little anchor has more work to do in this area. Maybe next time, our back will get wet. I'll hold off on wanting wet hair until a later date.

2 comments:

vlmeans said...

Miss Lainie will get passed that. If it were just you and her in the water to play she would have been just fine. It was the Mr. Drew that caused the drama. He is a stranger and water takes warming up to. It is good the have a health fear of the water and you want her to keep that to some degree. You should even teach her to be a little bit afraid. Therefore, she realizes water could hurt her and here she is in it with a stranger she doesn't trust. What would you do?

Team Mitchell & Crew said...

ok - totally true!