Tuesday, March 4, 2008
The last 24 hours have been really cool at the Mitchell household. Yesterday at about 3 PM, I was in a meeting at school and my cell phone rings. The name pops up and it says Joe. For those of you who know me, Joe is my 28 year old engaged younger brother who lives in Indiana. He never calls - by never, I mean...close to lunar eclipse regularities....never - ever - calls. He's gots lots goings on and Joe (nor myself) have ever been big time phone chatters...so it's really not weird that we go months without talking. We'll take through the night sometimes when we finally are together, just never on the phone. So immediatly, I see his number and I sense something is wrong. Why else would my "phone never rings" brother call me at 3 PM on a Monday.

Well! He was in town. He and Jessica are getting married in August of next year and took 2 days from school and work to check out reception sites. It was such a cool surprise. He called and wanted to come over and play with Lainie for the evening (and he wanted somewhere to stay...I mean he is the younger brother and all :), so they came to the house at about 8 last night. We talked and laughed and played with Lainie way past her bed time. Joe decided to check out what number he would be on the sleep number bed in our room (more info to follow in an upcoming post...) but until then, FYI: Scott is a 70 and I am a 55.) I think Joe was somewhere in the 60's. We talked for a long time last night.

Then today they went to additional sites, including Talon Winery, Keeneland, Lexington Center and Signature Club. After their appointments they joined the gang at Lainie's T-ball game #2 and afterwards we all went out for Chinese. It was a super cool night and a great surprise to start the week off. Lainie was sad to see them go. She becomes very attached to Jessica when she's here and looks forward to having a new aunt soon! Although Brewtus (our Min Pin) is excited their Jack Russell "Elvie" is back in the car, the rest of us will miss them!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Okay, 2 things. First of all, I know your little brother isn't that much younger than us, but him being 28 makes me feel old! Second, I just wanted to let you know I've been reading your blog, and it amazes me that you have the time to do it with a full time job and an active daughter. I'm lucky to have time in the day to check my email, let alone put together a rational series of thoughts!

Thanks for providing me some simple entertainment! I feel like I know you again!

Lisa Zaras

Sarah said...

Just wanted to say I have seen wedding receptions at Keenland and it is really beautiful! Tallon is nice too. Did they end up with a place yet?