Saturday, March 15, 2008
For all of you who have husbands who will eat anything you put in front of them, count yourself lucky! I however, do not have that husband.

Again...I will start by saying, "I love him. I really do." But honestly, he and I come from total opposite sides of the culinary counter.

Me: casseroles, vegetables, salads, new flavors!
Him: meat, potato, green beans, corn. That's it.

It has been a cooking adventure to say the least the last 10 years.

I always pick new recipes based on the ingredients. (Sure I eyeball it for taste intrigue, but bottomline...is what's in it.) If Scott will or has-ever eaten (and not choked) on the ingredients included, then I feel it is a safe endeavor. Google search engine has become a blessing when it comes to finding new recipes with particular ingredients included. And so it was Wed night.

I had chicken. I wanted FLAVOR. What to do? SO, I found this recipe for Taco Soup. Cold weather...yum! Beans, corn, beer broth, tomato sauce, chicken. easy and yummy sounding (Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup.)

So sure enough, who walks in while I am dumping the canned tomatoes onto the beans? Scott. Immediately his brow wrinkles and his nose flares. Why now? You've been downstairs for 2 hours and you now appear?

He asks, "What's that?" (My interpretation: "Oh gross!")
I say, "It's taco soup. It only has ingredients you eat."
He says, "Oh." Mind you the left side of his nose was crooked at the time. (My interpretation: "Ewwwww whine ewwwww whine whine ewwww."

So now I'm mad. I finish my crock pot agenda and stick it in the fridge for the morning. Scott and I then talk about the previous conversation of which he completely denies.

Fast forward 22 hours.

The crock pot smells delicious. Scott even admits he is afraid to eat it. I serve him a bowl just for spite. If he doesn't try it.......ah man!

He sniffs, he licks spoon, he catches my stare out of the corner of his eye. He takes a bite. He downs his first bowl.

He then asks for seconds. I sit with a smirk on my face and make him admit what he was thinking the night before. I was right. But he says that 10 years together has taught him to keep his mouth shut and make any attempt to "choke it down." Am I really that hard core?

2 BOWLS!!! The boy ate 2 bowls of the Ewww - yuk - whine soup. I however, loved it. I loved it from the get go. Let me know if you like it too!

0 comments: