Wednesday, July 23, 2008
I often get asked why I continue to live in Winchester and make the hour long one-way commute everyday to go to work. Money is usually the first thing that comes to my head. $150,000 for a house doesn't go far in the city limits of Lexington, but it bought us an all brick home with almost an acre in Winchester.

The next thing that comes to mind is the fact I can go to WalMart and know no-one. I mean, I could talk about colleagues and students at the top of my voice (of course I would NEVER do that) in the middle of the pickle aisle and no one would be in the peanut butter section listening to me ready to tell someone else. No one related to my working world lives over here. It's lonely, but liberating.

But last night, I discovered (actually more like remembered) one of my favorite parts about living where I live. Has nothing to do with Winchester, nothing to do with Clark County, and very little to do with my house....it's something I did. Something I planted 8 summers ago and it is now amazing!

In the summer of 2000, I was planning my wedding and moving into said house preparing to be a newlywed. I was 24, Scott was 30 and we were both ready for the on-our-own style of life. One morning before the wedding, we went down to the Farmer's Market in Lex. I remember buying some tomatoes, squash and this cute little plant, they said would grown into a thorn less blackberry bush. OK. I love blackberries. I hate thorns. Perfect fit.

I brought it home and plated my $8.99 treasure. It stood 8 inches tall and had 4 leaves.

Summer #2: I got 4 berries off that silly vine. I knew I'd wasted my money.


Summers 3-7 I would stand and eat said berries straight from the vine and make it inside with 20 or so. Just enough to fling into some cereal. Lainie would also cover herself in berry juices and she double-fisted hers into her mouth.




And here we are at Summer #8. They exploded this year. Since Scott grew up without fences in his neighborhood (something about football fields and throwing passes with friends across yards) we only have one fence in our whole yard (it's chain link and our neighbor Al put it up between around his property before we moved in), it is filling up the whole section that faces our yard. Last night, we filled up half of a galvanized bucket with ripe berries, not to mention the hundreds we left on the vine until later in the week.


Lainie and I washed the berries, made a cobbler (OMG yum!), had a berry and Cool Whip snack, sprinkled them over our cereal and covered the others with Equal until later.


Cobbler recipe:
1 c water
2 c sugar, parted
1 - 2 c fresh berries
1 stick butter
1 c self rising flour
1 c milk
Bring water to a boil in saucepan. Add 1 c. sugar and stir until dissolved. Add berries. Simmer for 10 min. Melt butter in 9 x 13 pan in 350* oven. When melted, mix flour and remaining 1 c. sugar in large bowl. Slowly add milk to avoid clumping. Pour batter into 9x13 pan over butter. DO NOT STIR. Spoon berries into 9x13. DO NOT STIR. Gently pour hot berry syrup over 9x13. DO NOT STIR (stirring makes it all smear together. Cobblers should be many colors!)
Bake 30 min @ 350*

That alone - is one of the main reasons I will stay in this house until the number of people out numbers the bedrooms. After tater-tot, we're in trouble!

3 comments:

Boo said...

How cool!!!

Sarabeth said...

I just planted a blackberry bush this spring! It doesn't have too many berries this year. Hopefully it will take off like yours did!

Ryan and Maria Harrington said...

I need some of those berries!!! They are my absolute favorite berries!!!!!!!!!