Friday, July 18, 2008
Went to the pool today. I know - hate me. We (Lainie and I) went to Boonesborough's pool, since it is not only the closest, but the niceest pool that is nearby.

After a great surprise lunch with Daddy over a table full of chili dogs at Wanda's (don't laugh if you've never partaken! You wouldn't understand!) we were on our way. Blankets, towels, sunscreen, glasses, books, all set. I decided not to take any snacks because having concessions stand junk food every so often is what keeps me young and vibrant, so I was totally looking forward to some nachos and cheese for my 2:30 snack.

I put off the concessions stand for almost 3 hours. Frankly, I was very pruoud of both myself and Lainie for pushing the our willpower to the top and resisting the temptations.

When the time finally came, 3 hours into our visit, I was nearly panting. Lainie was close to busting from her skin. Nothing like a hot dog to get a 4 year old going buck wild!

They were out of hot dogs. I thought, no biggie, I'll share my nachos with Lainie. Alas, they were out of nachos. They were out of cheese. They were out of chips. Heaven help them if they are out of soda...and it d_ _ n well better be diet. Lucky little guy...diet was all they had. Are you kidding? I asked for a straw, but realized I had just pushed my luck. No straws. Good Lord.

This is the time I realize I was born with the power of "think it" but not equipped with the button that allows me to "say it." Lainie was crying and I am grinding my teeth, I am so upset for her and hungry to boot. I knew I wanted to ask for management, but I saw no one over the age of 'like' 21 - (said just like Paris Hilton) inside any "office" area and I just wasn't going to give any words to someone young and stupid....while I feel so fat and old. I knew I should have told Mr. Genius to high tail it to Wal Mart to buy some dag-gone hot dogs and some cheese to go with MY chips. I also realized that this is why God put certain people in my life and I should travel with them much more often. Like Jennifer. Like Gayla. Like Vickie. Like Angie. NONE of these people would have let this atrocity occur.....but ah. I am what I am....hungry and sun burnt and prego and tired. And just not a master of the verbal language...yet.

2 comments:

Gayla said...

Good for you for being a great role model for Lainie. She needs to see that people can remain calm even in the most dire situations.

Boo said...

Rediculous!!! Them..not you! :)