Saturday, February 7, 2009
Well, not exactly. They were playing husband and wife.

Lainie and another little guy friend her age.
At first we hear nothing. Never a good sign when children are involved. We tip toe down the stairs to peek around the corner. Watching from a far, we see 2 little kids, spooning together on the couch downstairs. Arms intertwined, covered in a blanket. Then they roll over. She is now cradled in his arms, with this huge smile on her face. (Honestly, I hope Scott and I look that cute while sleeping, but still.) Then all of a sudden, she disappears under the cover. You can hear her say, come under here and kiss me. Then he disappears. Parents gasp. He says, loudly (and probably proudly), "Lainie, I can see your underwear." Uh, what?

Kids it's time to play upstairs. Two heads dart from under a blanket and catch us looking at them. "We like it down here better" (of course they do.) Nope it's community time, come on upstairs.

Meanwhile, Mom #1 (other mom) sits with kids while Mom #2 (me) searches internet for "is playing doctor / husband-wife as a preschooler normal?" on Google.

Apparently it is. Curiosity / pretending, etc. all part of the same deal. It is also very clearly time for the "that is and that is not appropriate" converstation to broaden its horizon a little bit further. Anybody wanna come over and help me lead this conversation. Anyone?

3 comments:

Laura said...

LOL! One of my best friends has a little boy Anna's age - is this what I have to look forward to?
Still laughing :)
Laura

LizzyBee said...

Oh I remember when my friend and I were about this age, my Mom told me that my friend L did not know about sex so I was not to talk about it with her. I am not sure when I found out, but I always remember knowing about it! Anyway, my friend L and I were playing Barbies, and I made them have sex (I'm such a bad influence) and I remember her asking, 'what's that?...' I remember saying something like 'something moms and dads do...' and changing the subject. A week or two later, my mom told me that L's mom found her and a neighborhood boy under a big box on their porch, without their shirts on! They were 'making a baby'. Needless to say L's mom gave her the Appropriateness Talk soon after. I remember my Mom answered any questions I had honestly, and I don't remember ever being too extremely curious about it, because of that. So that is how I plan to do it, just answer any questions Moose asks. As honestly and as G-rated as I can!

vlmeans said...

Oh my! They start early these days. Could I bring Zach and Morgan over for the same conversation?